Thursday, January 21, 2010

Struggle

I am struggling, struggling, struggling with sin in my life.

That sounds a bit too honest. I want to take it back because I would rather you didn't know I struggle to desire God above all those other (even good) things that via for my attention, get blown out of proportion, and threaten to become an idol.

My propensity to turn to other things besides God to fill my needs (especially emotional) is great.

I know that I can't just rip the idols out of my life without replacing them with Something greater, more valuable, more precious, more lovely.

I was thinking about this verse from Psalm 81 which says:

"I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it."

I got out my handy Reformation Study Bible (I'm a dork) and looked up the commentary concerning this verse. It was just what I needed it hear:

"Much of Israel's history, as recorded in Joshu through Chronicles, is the story of God's people looking for satisfaction without God (yup!). If they were worried about rain, they turned to Baal (1 Kings 18). If they were worried about enemies, they wanted a strong king (1 Samuel 8). They kept forgetting they had a God who could and would fulfill all their needs easily."

Oh Lord, help me not to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment