Thursday, January 7, 2010

Counterfeit Gods

I'm currently reading a book by Timothy Keller called "Counterfeit Gods" which I would highly recommend to anyone. It is all about the idols, deep and surface, which hold us captive to anything or anyone else besides Christ. Those things which tempt us away from obedience to Christ and complete loyalty to Him.

But how do we remove those idols? By digging in our heels and trying harder?

I thought I would share this quote with you because it has highly encouraged me:

"What breaks the power of money (*or food, or sex) over us is not just redoubled effort to follow the example of Christ. Rather, it is deepening your understanding of the salvation of Christ, what you have in him, and then living out the changes that that understanding makes in your heart - the seat of your mind, will, and emotions. Faith in the gospel restructures our motivations, our self-understanding and identity, our view of the world. Behavioral compliance to rules without a complete change of heart will be superficial and fleeting."

* added by me

Pretty powerful stuff, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment