Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Update from Arkansas

It's been too long since I've posted on my lonely little blog. Who knows if anybody actually reads this thing, but it's too cathartic for me to give up entirely. I have had time to post on this blog, just not the inclination. I think I've finally settled into my new life in Little Rock, and besides some minor irritations, pretty content with it.

I have found that in ministry it is pretty east to get so busy that you begin to neglect your own personal relationship with God. That's where I've found myself lately. This morning was the first morning in a few weeks in which I actually had more than just obligatory devotions (which are really no devotions at all). Conviction abounded today in many areas of my life. It is so easy to ignore the Holy Spirit, scarily easy. But conviction is one of God's greatest grace to His children. There are a lot of ares in my life that are not lining up with how God says I should live life. When you think about it, you can pray for me. My relationship with God is so much more important than any "ministry" that I could contribute to this world. What's that verse in John? "This is eternal life, that they may know You, the one true God." Yeah, that should be what my life is about - knowing God.

Well, I think I've found the church, my church, the church that I want to invest in while I'm living in Arkansas. The church is a plant of the PCA, and they meet in a cute little refurbished building in downtown Conway. The congregation is only about forty all told. On mnight I went to a ladies small group where they discuss the sermon and pray for each other. The other ladies (5) are all married, so we're in different seasons in life, but they were so warm and welcoming, honest and transparent, that I felt immediately at home. They prayed for me, and loved on me, and made me laugh so throughly that I couldn't help but fall a little bit in love with them. I'll be having lunch with the pastor and his wife soon, where I hope to borrow from his vast library (when she heard I was a theology nerd his wife commanded me not to buy anymore books because "Kevin has all you would ever want to read!"), and hear his Biblical basis for infant baptistm.

I'm still trying to figure out why God has me here. Is that strange? I feel privileged to be here, working toward the spread of the gospel, but sometimes other desires get in the way. I'm praying that God will be all of my desire and delight. God is so good to me. I just need to remember that He cares about my holiness and joy in Him, more than in the fleeting comforts I find so important.

That's all for tonight, folks. Goodnight, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment