Monday, June 1, 2009

Uh, oh...

One of the highlights of my weekend was a conversation with a complete stranger about my upcoming move to Arkansas. I was at my little sister's bridal shower when a friend of my sister approached me and in a soft southern accent asked me if I was the one moving to Arkansas. I replied affirmatively and she introduced herself and told me she had grown up in Arkansas and that her husband was from Paris. I briefly wondered whether there was any chance she meant the European city, but before I could ask she said "Arkansas. Paris, Arkansas". Ah.

I began to ask her questions and found out three things. First, Arkansas is humid. When she said this I smugly stated that I had lived in Missouri most of my life and I was use to humidity. She gave a polite little laugh and told me she always found it so humorous when Missourians complained about the humidity.

Uh, oh...

The next thing I learned was that this particular lady really liked the people of Arkansas but had also always felt like one needed a "passport" to visit. "People do have their little quirks" she said, or something like. She gave me the impression, in her sweet southern manner, that I could be in for a culture shock.

Uh, oh...

The last thing I learned was that Little Rock is not a city. I learned this by asking her to compare the size of Little Rock to the size of St. Charles County, where I have spent most of my life. St. Charles County won. Now, St. Charles County is a large county, but in my opinion it should beat any place labeled a city.

Uh, oh...

As I begin to assimilate information related to the new place God is leading me to I find all sorts of things that confront and assault my natural inclinations. Of this, however, I am very sure: God knows what He is doing, and I feel a huge sense of anticipation and excitement. I think this is going to be a once-in-a-lifetime adventure, replete with "uh, oh" moments, of course, but with the threads of God's grace and favor all woven through. He is a good God and I am sure that he "has prepared me for this very thing".

2 comments:

  1. Got me interested, so I checked it out. By order of population, largest to smallest:

    Pulaski County, AK (Little Rock)
    St. Charles County, MO
    Greene County, MO (Springfield)
    Little Rock, AK
    Springfield, MO
    St. Charles, MO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rich! I guess I'll have to consider it a city now.

    ReplyDelete