Friday, June 26, 2009

Missionary Life

I am feeling very stressed out today. I hold in my hand twenty-four ounces of pure caffeine with massive amounts of sugar thrown in for good measure. Yes, this was an ill-advised decision, but the only one that made sense as I drove to my recently vacated townhouse this morning in order to beg the next-door neighbor to sign for a very important package the UPS man has already attempted to deliver twice. Thankfully she agreed, although now she's probably a little scared of me. Good thing I don't live here anymore! Now if I can just get people to stop sending me stuff here...

I'm supposed to be having a day off. This is truly laughable as I have been even busier today than I would normally be in the office. I need to do a six hour Bible study on support raising in the next hour and a half (I wonder if this is feasible?) before I pick up my little brother from aforementioned office and travel to Illinois to teach a 5-day Club in the home of a truly delightful elderly lady. She wanted to give them a special treat for the last day of club today and so she invited a puppet troupe from her church to entertain the kids after club. I hate puppets, but I love her, and so I will endure them, although I will be laughing in my heart (and possibly out loud, as well).

Yesterday I suffered through the indignities of watching one of the children in the club take off his sandal, hold his foot against his face and take a big long sniff before replacing his sandal, waiting a minute...and then doing it again! All this while I was teaching the Bible lesson. It was almost unbearable for me to watch. I kept praying: "Lord Jesus! Help me! Now!". After club I sat in my car alternately laughing and groaning. Oh, the life of a missionary!

Well, that's all for now. Please pray for me. Most of all pray that I won't offend the puppet troupe, and that the delightful little foot-sniffing boy will keep his shoes on today. I don't know if my fragile mental state can bear a repeat performance.

2 comments:

  1. You didn't call me when you were on the Illi-noise side? No Mr. Stripeys for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to come and visit you like, EVERY DAY, after club but I had Sam with me and I feared he would not be as interested in the state of our garden as I was.

    Also, who or what is Mr. Stripeys?

    ReplyDelete