Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Adventures in French Cooking

Recently I've been reading a book called My Life in France by Julia Child. This has cultivated in me a deep desire to move to France and spend my days cooking and wandering around the streets of Paris saying things like "eh bein, tant pis" accompanied by deep sighs and graceful hand gestures. Of course it is quite impossible for me to do this. So instead of becoming depressed by an unfulfilled dream, I decided to live the la bella France way of life here in the States.

First, you start with a good friend and a bottle of wine.


An official recipe by the venerable Julia Child.


A few pounds of onions. Lots and lots of onions.


After cutting up the onions and shoving them as best you can into a large pot, add wine, butter (Julia Child would never use margarine!), beef stock, and a few cloves of garlic. Reduce and cook for an hour of so, ladle into bowls, and sprinkle liberally with shredded Jarlsberg cheese. There you have it: a delicious authentically French meal.

Put on a good movie (or documentary of a crazy nun, as the case may be) and give the rest of the wine to the little black doggie.


I can't think of a better way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment