Friday, April 24, 2009

Pet Theology

I've been convicted lately of my tendency to point out error instead of pointing out Truth. It seems that I am one of those whom Jude spoke of as constantly "finding fault". I think this is a matter of focus. When I focus on ways I can "get rid" of sin this tendency only seems to lead me deeper into it. When I lift my eyes from sin to fix them on the Cross I find the truth of 1 John 1:7: "...the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin." It's not that I am unaware of sin when this shift in focus comes. Indeed, I am all the more aware that in me and others "no good thing dwells", but a fixed gaze on the Cross seems to accomplish more than any act of mine ever could.

As I find myself constantly frustrated at the state of apostasy in Christendom I have two options: come in with both guns of my "right" theology blazing or point to the Cross. I am more often guilty of the former, than the later. It is easier to hold up my own "pet" theology as the standard for everyone else's behavior then it is to hold up the Cross which, as I do, reveals my own very real inadequacies. It would seem that sometimes my pet theology is only pride masking itself so I won't recognize it. I may be over-simplifying important truths, but today my heart just cries out for the sufficiency of the Cross over and above those less important (not unimportant) issues.

"Rid me of myself, I belong to You..."

3 comments:

  1. Wow Jeanne. I'm so happy for your future. God has so much for you!

    And it is spelled "y'all", not "ya'll", though that is a common mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for correcting that glaring inaccuracy! And thanks for the support; I appreciate your friendship. :)

    ReplyDelete