Friday, February 19, 2010

A Book Review and More

Yesterday I finished reading a book by Michael Horton, host of the White Horse Inn and author of numerous books, entitled "The Law of Perfect Freedom: Relating to God and Others Through the Ten Commandments".

In this book Horton devotes a chapter to each of the Ten Commandments and works through how they related to Israel and how they relate to us as believers today. Each chapter is more encouraging than the last, and so of course the last chapter "Good News for Law-breakers", was the pinnacle.

I am a law-breaker. Even after my conversion, I still struggle daily with sin. It crouches at my door and tempts me to give over. I struggle because I know God has given me a new heart. Shouldn't it want to obey? Yet there are times, and whole seasons, when I am prone to sin, and sin, and sin. I delight in it! Of course, these are never happy times in my life. The Holy Spirit won't let up, and God never stops pursuing my heart so that I will find delight in Him and His will. But still, those times are there, and it bothers me. I start to wonder "maybe I'm not redeemed. Maybe I'm like the Pharisees, or like those in Matthew who are shocked that they are not in Christ in light of their good works and efforts for the Kingdom".

Horton alleviates those fears. As a Christian, I need the Cross now just as much as I did when I was first converted. The same sovereign grace that saved me, sanctifies me. And sanctification isn't MY work, but the work of Christ for me, in me, and upon me. As I tremble before the Law, that perfect standard reflecting God's own righteousness, I know I will never measure up. I come to God, not because of any good thing I do, but because of Christ. I come as a beggar, asking Him to consider Christ's perfect substitutionary death for sins on my behalf, and His perfect life of obedience lived in my place. As Horton points out, I am DECLARED righteous in His sight, even when I am so...not.

This morning I opened my eyes, and do you know, I felt no guilt. No guilt for prayers left unsaid, or Bible readings neglected. I woke up free of condemnation from all that I have done or failed to do. I am free in Christ from all my sins and free to pursue my joy in God. I am free to serve and love and glorify Him. Not so that He will bless me, or love me, or accept me - He has done all that in Christ - but because that's who I am now. I am a new creature with a new heart and new desires and a new Destination.

I should know this stuff already, right? It's amazing the difference when it goes from your head to your heart. It's amazing when what you know becomes what you walk in by faith. Horton's book was a good reminder of many things I already knew, and a good instructor on many things that I didn't. Of course I know that I am a new creature in Christ, that the new has come and the old has passed, but I continue to learn and apply so many things about Christ's death and resurrection that I never knew or realized before. His cross is my one boast because, whether in salvation or sanctification, it accomplishes what I can't.

Soli Deo gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment